Grammar Worksheet 3

Tense Review



1.- In this e-mail there are 30 silly (and quite common) grammatical mistakes. Can you correct them?
Dear Marian,

Thank you for your letter. It’s good to hear from you. How is (1) you getting on in London? It is such a big city I bet you are getting (2) lost every day. What is life at the university like? Are you like (3) it, or is the work too hard (4) than you expected?
I was sorry to hear about the weather. Did they not told (5) you that it rains quite a lot in England, especially in the winter? But I don’t think you will be going to have (6) too much snow; you are in the south of the country.
You want me to tell you about how is life (7) here. Well, we are all still being busy (8) preparing for our exams. Do you are studying (9) for tests every three months too? We are always doing revising (10) for an exam. Anna has decided she is wanting to be (11) a surgeon, so she will be going to (12) work very hard this year to get good exam results. She had been (13) watching a programme about hospitals on the TV and now she thinks she will be wanting (14) to study medicine. It seems like a good idea for her; she is intelligent and kind. But what about me? I have no idea what I want to do. I used to think I wanted to do business studies, but I hate to be (15) in an office all day. You know how much I like the outdoors. Last week I thought about doing horticulture. Don’t laugh. I love plants and flowers and all that kinds (16) of thing. And this (17) days lots of people is (18) moving into houses with gardens. It could be the perfect job for the future. Anyway, I am going to (19) let you know when I am making (20) a decision, I promise. Who knows? Maybe I can study in England like you; they have lots of famous gardens and parks there. Do you know why?
Have you hear (21) the news about Martin? They say he is will (22) marry Susana in August – and they are still only 19! If you did not leave (23) him to go to university I am not thinking (24) he would have started going out with Susana. I think you done (25) the right thing; it is important to make a good decision about your future before you will (26) think about getting married these days. My mother often tells me she got married too young because she haven’t (27) got any idea about the future. Anyway, I hope you meet someone nice in London, who is going to (28) show you all the best places to go. Then you could take us to it (29) when we are coming (30) to visit you at Easter. Can you find us a cheap youth hostel near your flat for the first week in April?
Best wishes,
David
1 are 2..................................... 3 ....................................

4................................. 5....................................... 6 ....................................

7 ................................ 8 ...................................... 9 .....................................

10.............................. 11 ..................................... 12 ...................................

13 ............................. 14 ..................................... 15 ...................................

16 ............................. 17 ..................................... 18 ..................................

19 ............................. 20 .................................... 21 ...................................

22 ............................. 23 .................................... 24 ...................................

25 ............................. 26 ................................... 27 ...................................

28 ............................. 29 .................................... 30 .................................



ANSWERS Grammar Worksheet 3

1
2 get, 3 Do you like, 4 harder, 5 tell, 6 you will have, 7 life is, 8 being, 9 Do you study,
10 revision, 11 wants to be, 12 she is going, 13 has been, 14 wants, 15 being, 16 that kind, 17 these, 18 are, 19 will, 20 have made, 21 heard, 22 going to, 23 hadn’t left, 24 don’t think, 25 have done, 26 will, 27 had not, 28 will, 29 then, 30 come.