worksheet1-present simple-present continuous

Grammar Worksheet 1

Present simple / Present continuous

1.- Complete the sentences with the present simple or the present continuous. You will need to use the auxiliary verb do in the questions and negative sentences.

1 We are not going (not go) on holiday this summer because we are doing up (do up) our house.
2 I always .......................... (wake up) at 7 o’clock on school days, but only because the alarm clock .......................... (buzz) so loudly I can’t ignore it.
3 Some nights I .......................... (not finish) my homework until really late and then I have trouble .......................... (fall asleep).
4 How much money .......................... (you usually spend) at the weekend? I am .......................... (not go) out this week at all because I’m broke!
5 I’m afraid I .......................... (not speak) French very well, but I’m .......................... (learn).
6 I .......................... (not like) cooking very much, but I .......................... (love) eating.

2.- Use five verbs from the box in either the present simple or the present continuous to complete the sentences below. (Pay attention to spelling.)

do make believe think like behave have

1 Please stop making so much noise. I’m trying to study.
2 Peter says he doesn’t .......................... in ghosts.
3 If you go on .......................... like that you are going to be in serious trouble.
4 I always try to .......................... my best at school, but sometimes it’s just not good enough!
5 We’re .......................... a party on Saturday night. Do you want to come?

3.- Underline the word or phrase that best completes each sentence.

1 Sam isn’t having a birthday party this year / usually.
2 My mother always telling / tells me to tidy my room on Sunday evenings.
3 Are you listening to the radio every day / or can I turn it off?
4 In autumn the leaves fall / are falling from the trees.
5 It hardly ever snows/snowing in the city. I think it’s because of the pollution.
6 My parents like to go to the theatre to see a Shakespeare play / when they can find the time.



4.- What is the third person present simple form of these verbs?
1 go goes
2 play
3 do
4 study
5 reach
6 try
7 achieve
8 fix
9 wish
10 have
11 love
12 kiss



Answers

Grammar Worksheet 1

1
2 wake up, buzzes; 3 don’t finish, falling asleep;
4 do you usually spend, not going; 5 don’t speak, learning; 6 don’t like, love.

2
2 believe in, 3 behaving, 4 do, 5 having.

3
1 this year, 2 tells, 3 or can I turn it off?, 4 fall, 5 snows,
6 when they can find the time.

4
2 plays, 3 does, 4 studies, 5 reaches, 6 tries,
7 achieves, 8 fixes, 9 wishes, 10 has, 11 loves, 12 kisses.